CHEMTREC is the world’s leading source of 24/7 call center support and information during hazardous materials incidents. For nearly 50 years, our engagement with emergency responders around the world has been the engine that drives our success. In light of that relationship, CHEMTREC has partnered with the National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) to award $7,500 to two volunteer fire departments in the U.S. that are also members of the NVFC. The awards are intended to help the fire departments enhance their response capabilities and increase local preparedness to respond to and prepare for hazardous materials incidents.
To be eligible to apply for the CHEMTREC HELP (Hazmat Emergency Local Preparedness) Award, departments must meet the following criteria:
- Department must be all-volunteer or mostly-volunteer (over 50%).
- Department must serve a population of 25,000 or less.
- Department must be located in the United States and be legally organized under state law.
- Department or individual applying on behalf of the department must be a member of the NVFC. Learn about member benefits and join at www.nvfc.org/BeYourBest.
- Department must demonstrate their need to receive the $7,500 award and in the application essay must describe the equipment, resources, and/or training the department would purchase and/or the training they would attend to increase their response capabilities for hazardous materials incidents. Please also describe the potential hazardous materials incidents that could occur in your community.
- Only one application will be accepted per department. Any subsequent applications received for that department during the award year will be disqualified.
- The departments that receive the award must use the money to increase their department’s hazmat response capabilities and not for any other purpose. The award cannot be redistributed.
- The departments that receive the $7,500 award agree that their department name, details from their application essay, and all photos taken during the award presentation may be used in media by CHEMTREC, TRANSCAER, American Chemistry Council, and the NVFC for the purposes of promoting the award program. The departments who receive the awards also agree to a department visit by CHEMTREC and the NVFC for the award presentation within 60 days of notification of the announcement of the award.
The 2019 application period will close on October 1, 2019. After the application period ends, an expert panel selected by CHEMTREC & the NVFC will review the applications. Two volunteer fire departments will be selected to each receive a $7,500 award. The winners will be announced by December 1, 2019. The winning departments will be contacted directly before a public announcement is made.