HELP Award Application
The 2021 HELP Award application is now open.
Reminder, to be eligible for the HELP Award, departments must meet the following criteria:
- Be composed of more than 50% volunteers
- Serve a population of 25,000 or less
- Funding for the Department’s most recently completed fiscal year must not have exceeded $250,000
- If the volunteer fire department is incorporated within a city fire department, the volunteer fire department must be a separate 501(c) organization and maintain their finances separately to qualify for the HELP Award.
- The funding requirement includes all funding the volunteer fire department received, whether it was from the city/county/town budget/tax funding, fundraising, community donations, subscriptions, EMS service/revenue recovery, or other sources.
- The only exception to exceeding the $250,000 threshold is if the department received a one-time grant in the most recently completed fiscal year that set them over the $250,000 limit, then they are required to disclose their funding levels for 3 consecutive preceding years showing the department’s total income is normally below $250,000 annually.
- Be located in the United States and legally organized under state law
- Chief or individual applying on behalf of the department must be a member of the NVFC. Learn about member benefits and join at www.nvfc.org/join