1. How do I register for CHEMTREC services?
2. How do I know if I need to register with CHEMTREC?3. What is regulation 49 CFR § 172.604?
4. How do I know if my company is registered with CHEMTREC?
5. What is my customer number?6. Where on my shipping documents do I put the CHEMTREC phone number?
7. I’m only shipping a small amount of a dangerous good. Do I still need to register?
8. Where do I get labels with the CHEMTREC numbers on them?
9. Do you provide on-site clean-up services?
10. I’m shipping from the USA to an international location. Do I need your global service?
11. Can I put the CHEMTREC phone number on product packaging?
12. Does CHEMTREC provide Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)?
13. What defines an "incident"?
1. How do I register for CHEMTREC services? [top]
USA + Canada Authorization, which authorizes the registrant to portray the CHEMTREC phone number(s) on shipping documents where the origin and/or destination is in the U.S. or Canada, can be completed online. For shipments where the origin and destination is outside the U.S. and Canada, Global Authorization is required. Contact Customer Service for more information.
2. How do I know if I need to register with CHEMTREC? [top]
Registration with CHEMTREC authorizes the registrant the right to portray the CHEMTREC phone number(s) on the Registrant’s shipping documents. It is the registrant's responsibility to determine whether or not their products/shipments are subject to government regulations. In order to determine whether the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Regulation 49 CFR 172.604 applies to your shipment, you must contact DOT's Hazardous Materials Information Center directly at 1-800-467-4922 (within the USA) or +1 202-366-4488 (outside the USA) or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. What is DOT Regulation 49 CFR § 172.604? [top]
The Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) are issued by the U.S. DOT Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA). HMR Title 49 CFR § 172.604 stipulates that “a person who offers a hazardous material for transportation must provide an emergency response telephone number, including the area code or international access code, for use in the event of an emergency involving the hazardous material.” The full regulation can be found through PHMSA’s website.
4. How do I know if my company is registered with CHEMTREC? [top]
We welcome calls from regulatory inspectors, manufacturers, shippers, carriers, freight forwarders, third party logistics service providers (3PL), etc. to verify if a company is authorized to use our number.
5. What is my customer number? [top]
Each company with a current CHEMTREC registration has its own unique CHEMTREC Customer Number (CCN). Your customer number is located in the upper right-hand corner of your CHEMTREC invoice and should be preceded by the letters “CCN” when used on shipping documents (ex: CCN12345). If you do not have a copy of your invoice, please contact Customer Service to obtain your CCN. Note: The CCN can only be given to the company's designated Administrative Contact.
6. Where on my shipping documents do I put the CHEMTREC phone number? [top]
The CHEMTREC emergency phone number(s) must be entered once on the shipping paper in a prominent location. It must be indicated that the telephone number(s) are for emergency response information (for example: “EMERGENCY CONTACT: CHEMTREC [insert phone numbers(s) here]”).
If your shipment is subject to U.S. regulations, when portraying the CHEMTREC phone number(s) on shipping documents, either your registered company name or your CHEMTREC Customer Number (CCN) should be entered, in accordance with 49 CFR 172.604, "on the shipping paper immediately before, after, above, or below the emergency response telephone number in a prominent, readily identifiable, and clearly visible manner that allows the information to be easily and quickly found," unless the company name is entered elsewhere in a prominent manner.
To expedite the identification of the shipper in an incident, CHEMTREC recommends that companies use their CCN on their shipping documents. The CCN is intended for use on shipping documents only. CHEMTREC does not recommend that it be displayed on other documents, such as Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) or customer invoices. The CHEMTREC Customer Service phone number should never be displayed on shipping papers, MSDS, etc.
7. I’m only shipping a small amount of a dangerous good. Do I still need to register with CHEMTREC? [top]
Any shipper who uses the CHEMTREC telephone number(s) on their shipping documents must be registered with CHEMTREC. To find out if you need an emergency number on your shipping papers, contact the U.S. Department of Transportation INFO-LINE at 1-800-467-4922 (within the USA) or +1 202-366-4488 (outside the USA).
8. Where do I get labels with the CHEMTREC numbers on them? [top]
Please contact one of CHEMTREC's approved decal suppliers.
9. Do you provide on-site clean-up services? [top]
CHEMTREC does not provide on-site services, but we do have a list of for-hire contractors through our CHEMNET program.
10. I’m shipping from the USA to an international location. Do I need your global service? [top]
USA + Canada Authorization with CHEMTREC authorizes the registrant to use the CHEMTREC emergency phone number(s) on shipping documents where the origin and/or destination is in the United States or Canada. For shipments where the origin and destination is outside the USA and Canada, CHEMTREC offers Global Authorization.
11. Can I put the CHEMTREC phone number on product packaging? [top]
CHEMTREC registrants are discouraged from including any CHEMTREC telephone number, email address, website, or any other contact information for CHEMTREC on product packaging unless the product is subject to a prevailing regulatory directive.
For those products subject to a prevailing regulatory directive, the Registrant must adhere to the following parameters:
- The CHEMTREC emergency phone number must be preceded by the following direction "For Hazardous Materials [or Dangerous Goods] Incidents ONLY (spill, leak, fire, exposure or accident), call CHEMTREC at [insert here the CHEMTREC number given to you following your registration with CHEMTREC];" AND
- The company's (preferably toll-free) phone number must also be included on the packing and it must be clearly stated that all other non-emergency inquiries about the product should be directed to the company.
Please Note: Should the shipper choose to include the CHEMTREC number on product packaging, any calls placed to the CHEMTREC center shall be counted towards the tally of the shipper's incident count for billing purposes.
12. Does CHEMTREC provide Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)? [top]
It is CHEMTREC’s practice that a Registrant’s MSDS or other product specific-information only be distributed to outside parties when such information is determined to be appropriate in assisting responders, medical professionals, or others to deal with spills, leaks, personnel exposures or other hazardous materials incidents. All other requests for MSDS will be referred to the manufacturer.
13. What defines an "incident"? [top]
Any call to CHEMTREC's Operations Center regarding the Registrant (or Affiliates), its products and/or shipments is considered an incident.